Ebay Giving Works is a program that allows non profits to use ebay to generate revenues and a way for consumers to support non profits by buying on eBay.
Giving Works is powered by MissionFish, which is the exclusive “charity solutions provider” of eBay.
MissionFish helps you support your favorite causes through trading on eBay! Since 2000, we’ve been providing our technology, tools and support to thousands of organizations and donors, and raised millions of dollars through online auctions. MissionFish is the exclusive charity solution provider for eBay Giving Works, and a service of the Points of Light Foundation.
Interesting background information about MissionFish– it actually began as a for profit with venture backing but switched over to become a nonprofit.
The “how it works” section on the MissionFish website offers a simple description documenting the entire process. Here is a summary of how it works from the seller’s side:
1. Nonprofit registers with eBay Giving Works
2. MissionFish screens the nonprofit to make sure it’s legitimate
3. Any seller on eBay can choose to donate a percentage of their sales to eBay’s list of screened nonprofits
4. Seller must list with MissionFish
Here is a summary of how it works from the nonprofit direct seller’s side:
1. The nonprofit registers for a sellers account on eBay.
2. The nonprofit registers with eBay and MissionFish screens the nonprofit to make sure it’s legitimate
3. The nonprofit can list items for sale on eBay, with no fees
There’s a lot more information on both the eBay Giving Works and MissionFish websites, including information about marketing, managing auctions, success case studies, and a discussion forum with lots of user generated information.